Summer Reading: Part 2


Last summer, I was working on my master's, so I think I only read one book for pleasure. This summer, I was bound and determined to make up for that drought. Here are a few of my favorites:

Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan

One day on People.com (the only reliable celebrity news source, by the way), I saw this book listed as one of Reese Witherspoon's "must-reads," so I figured if it's good enough for Reese, it's good enough for me. This book has a lot of characters, who are all somehow related, and a lot of story lines, which all connect, so it was a lot like reading an Asian soap opera. Thankfully, a family tree is provided in the front of the book to make the relationships a little less confusing.

The main story line revolves around the imminent passing of the Shang-Young family matriarch, Su Yi. Her family has returned to Singapore to say their goodbyes . . . and each family member tries to put in one final push to be the recipient of the family estate. As you can imagine, this brings surprises and all sorts of scandal. Secrets are revealed, and a few skeletons fall out of their proverbial closets.

This was an entertaining read. The story takes place in myriad locations, from Singapore to Shanghi to Hong Kong. I learned a lot about Asian society and culture, thanks to the footnotes that define Asian words, people, places, and cuisine. By the end of the novel, I had added a few locations to my "Places to Visit Before I Die" list, and my craving for egg rolls, dumplings, and wontons was a little out of control.

As it turns out, this book is actually the third in a trilogy, but it was easy to follow even without having read the first two. Kevin Kwan is in the midst of adapting the books into a film, and I can definitely see this played out on the big screen, what with the fabulous locations and extravagant fashion described in the book. In an interview I read, he confessed to loving Dallas, Falcon Crest, and Dynasty, so if you grew up on those shows like I did, I feel sure you'll enjoy this novel as well.

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

I have to admit, this book was different from what I expected. For some reason, I thought it was set in New England. It isn't. Then, I thought it was going to be closely tied to the Salem witch trials. It isn't. So, needless to say, it took me a few chapters to get into the story.

Once I got to about Chapter 4, though, I was hooked. While this book wasn't quite as page-turning as Girl on the Train (I read that in a day because I couldn't put it down!), it was an intriguing mystery that held my interest. The book is told from multiple perspectives, helping the reader see just how many secrets the people in the town are carrying.

Hawkins does a good job of making each character seem both reliable and unreliable at some point throughout the novel, which kept me on my toes. The New York Times compared it to Gone Girl, and while I don't think it quite measures up to that, it does offer a few twists that warn the reader of the dangers of jumping to conclusions.


Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise

So, sometimes when I see people ask for book suggestions on Facebook, I stalk the post so I can get some suggestions for myself. Creepy, right? In this instance, my stalking paid off big time.

A friend from Furman posted this was one of her favorites, and I see why. If How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days were based off of a book, this would be the book. The main characters, Min and Cal, have the same "I love you; no, I hate you" chemistry Andie Anderson and Benjamin Barry share in the movie. Add in loyal friends, crazy exes, overbearing parents, and a neurotic cat, and you have the recipe for a delightful read and lots of laughs.

Speaking of recipes, this book left me searching for the perfect chicken piccata recipe. Min, Cal, and their friends eat the dish so much, by the end of the book, it was all I could think about. It wasn't just the recipe that sounded good, it was the camaraderie and fellowship that went along with it that was most appealing. I wanted to be in their group of friends.

Overall, I loved reading about a strong, sassy, independent character. It was easy to relate to Min, and I found myself cheering her on as she worked to overcome her insecurities and let her true self shine. Hands down, this was my favorite fiction of the summer.

The House on Tradd Street by Karen White

This is another book that often pops up as a suggested summer read on Facebook. It's been on my own list for several summers because it sounded like it had everything I look for in a good summer read: a fixer-upper, a Low Country backdrop, a family secret, and a tension-filled romance. The part I couldn't quite wrap my head around is that it is also part ghost story. That seemed pretty hokey.

But when I really started to think about it, ghosts inhabiting houses along the Battery make total sense. I mean, Charleston is known for its paranormal beings, which can be seen on guided tours almost every night of the year.  In the end, I decided to take the advice of my 11th grade English teacher, Mrs. Joanne Gaskins, and suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story.

I should have known, my Facebook would never steer me wrong. This book was the perfect beach read. I loved the banter between Melanie and Jack, and their chemistry was palpable. Most surprisingly, I found myself loving the ghost story too, and I really wanted Melanie to be able to help the ghosts find peace.

One word of caution . . . this is part of a series, so don't expect to have every loose end tied up at the end of the book. I was in distress for several days waiting for book two to become available at the library, and I don't want you to experience that same angst.

Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan

Okay, let me just go ahead and say this isn't necessarily the most well-written book; however, what it lacks in style and technique, it makes up for in authenticity. I kept having to remind myself that I was reading a work of fiction and not a real-life Ashley Keller's autobiography.

This book, which reads like a blog, is spot on describing the struggles of the first year or two of motherhood, and there is at least one scenario every new mom can relate to. My favorite part is when Ashley puts her daughter in the free child care at the gym and then goes to relax in her car in the parking lot. Please believe I've thought about doing that at MUV Fitness once or twice myself.

As hilarious as the book is, it has its touching moments as well and reminds us that as moms, we all need to support each other. Nobody's life is as good as it looks on social media. Motherhood is messy and memorable, frustrating and fun, and the sooner we realize we're all in the chaos together, the better off we'll be.

The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst

Do you ever feel like you have too many balls in the air? Like you're good at a lot of things but not really great at anything? Like you can't enjoy the moment you're in because your mind has already moved on to the next thing on your list? If so, then this book is for you.

There have been periods in my life when I tend to over-volunteer. I can remember sitting in a Tri Delt meeting in college and raising my hand to volunteer for something I didn't really have time to do (because, you know, school), and one of my dear friends kindly turned to me and said if I raised my arm to volunteer for one more thing, she was going to rip off said arm and beat me with it. That warning, like this book, was the wake-up call I needed to reassess my commitments.

As it turns out, the best yes is often a "no" or a "not right now." And that's okay. We shouldn't feel guilty for thoughtfully planning how we spend our time and how we share our talents.

Church of the Small Things by Melanie Shankle

I read Melanie Shankle's first book, Sparkly Green Earrings, when I was on maternity leave with Jackson, and I have been a fan ever since. I have loved all of her books, and I read her blog on a regular basis . . . although I do have to be careful not to read it at school because it will usually make me laugh so hard I snort or make me ugly cry, both of which are kinda awkward to do in front of teenagers.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic to be selected as a member of the launch team for Church of the Small Things, which earned me an advance copy of the book.  While reading, I laughed, I cried, and I thought a lot about what makes a life good. Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference.

In the book, Melanie writes, "It's not about doing the glamorous thing. It's about doing the faithful thing." As a mom, as a teacher, sometimes it's easy to wonder if all of my hard work is even making a difference because I don't always get to see the return on my investment. This book reminded me that I have to have faith and just keep on keepin' on, knowing that the small things like a smile and a high five truly can have an impact.

Don't think this book is all serious and tender though. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments too, like when Melanie recounts the time her husband, Perry, shot himself in the head while leaning out of a helicopter to shoot wild hogs. Who even knew that was a thing?

Now that you're dying to read the book, I have to break the bad news . . . it doesn't come out until October 3. However, there is hope! You can pre-order the book here and here and receive all kinds of fun free goodies. Or, pre-order directly from the website Church of the Small Things.

This book will also have a companion Bible study video series. It comes out October 17, but you can pre-order it here. I've watched the first installment, and seeing Melanie talk about the first chapter in person brought her message to life. This would be the perfect choice for a small-group study.

I know that's a lot of sales talk, but I promise, I would recommend this book and the Bible study even if I weren't on the launch team . . .  mainly because I want to be Melanie Shankle when I grow up.



In the end, I learned a few things about myself during my summer reading. First, I clearly need to pay more attention to whether or not the book I'm getting ready to read is part of a series. Second, good books make me hungry, both for knowledge and for food. Third, I cry . . . a lot. Five out of these 7 books made me cry at least once- I'll let you guess which ones they were. And finally, my only news sources seem to be People.com and Facebook, so I may need to find at least one that's a little more academic.

I have a few books on deck for the fall, including Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker, Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, and Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate, but if you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them . . . it'll save me from having to stalk you on Facebook.

Labels: